The History of Coopersale Hall

Coopersale Hall’s extensive buildings and grounds are steeped in history.  The main Grade 2 listed building is a stunning mansion house set in some seven acres of beautiful grounds, lawns and playing areas.

16th Century

Coopersale Hall was once part of the Copped Hall estate, which passed to Elizabeth I in 1558.  In 1562 she set up a Commission that planted the evergreen holm oak of our school badge.

18th and 19th Centuries

The present country house was built before 1776. A print on display in the library shows the house as it was then, in the ownership of Mrs Chevely.  In the 1890s the artist Lucien Pissarro painted several pictures of Coopersale Hall, which was then owned by Mr Flux (who gave his name to our private drive, Flux’s Lane).

20th Century

Coopersale Hall was owned by Lord Lyle, a director of Tate & Lyle and MP for Epping. During World War II, the Hall was a convalescent home for wounded officers and was associated with Sir Winston Churchill, MP for Epping in 1924, who is known to have visited.

In 1988 Coopersale Hall was acquired by the Hagger family and the School was opened in April 1989. Lord Tebbit MP was guest of honour at the formal opening ceremony. A rapid modernisation and expansion programme followed. A converted Orangery-ballroom has become the School’s Assembly Hall and the cottage in the grounds houses some of our infant and junior classes.  From the York stone terrace at the back of the Hall, a path leads to the adventure playground, Astroturf pitch, infants’ play area and landscaped gardens.

Coopersale Hall School forms part of the Oak-Tree Group of Schools, which includes Braeside School in Buckhurst Hill, Oaklands School in Loughton and Normanhurst School in North Chingford. A powerful group of local independent schools, all four are operated with the same aims of excellence and care.

21st Century

In 2011 a new 4 classroom block with extra playgrounds was officially opened by Mr Rod Stewart and Mrs Penny Lancaster. In  2013 an outside classroom was provided by the Parents’ Association and a nature reserve was formed in the grounds.