At Coopersale Hall School all children have many opportunities to learn about and to experience the performing arts. Curriculum music lessons and singing sessions are taught from Lower Kindergarten to Year 6 on a weekly basis. During these sessions children experience a range of music, drama and dance supported by multiple performances throughout the year.
All children sing during assemblies and everyone in KS1 and KS2 attend hymn practise each week. In addition, there are many free music opportunities during the school day. In the Juniors there is the option to join the Years 3/4 or Years 5/6 recorder club. The junior choir is available for all pupils in Years 3 to 6. Weekly orchestra rehearsals include children who take instrumental tuition as well as those just keen to get involved.
Popular peripatetic tuition is available to pupils in Years 2 to 6 during the school day in piano, violin, flute, clarinet, guitar and voice. Children are often entered in external ‘Grade’ exams and there is a high success rate.
By the end of Year 6 the pupils should be able to:
- Describe music in terms of emotion, sound colour and the musical elements
- Recognise the sounds of instruments from the symphony orchestra
- Control percussion instruments with accuracy
- Understand music in context e.g. Tudor Music, Jazz and Blues
- Sing in two and three parts with a quality of sound
- Compose and improvise in a group using voices and instruments
- Use ICT to create a sequenced soundscape
All children in all year groups put on at least two performances to parents throughout the school year. There are additional options for those wishing to perform more, either as soloists or as part of an ensemble. Some of these include:
- Tiddly Prom Concert
- Oak-Tree Group Music and Dance Festival (alternate years)
- Performances to the elderly at Christmas
- Performances in the community including the Epping Christmas Market
- Junior Summer production – a musical including all children in Years 3 to 6
- Picnic in the Park – an outdoor concert to parents
- Christmas Carol Concert
- Young Voices
- Opportunities to perform to the school in assemblies throughout the year
Development is measured by end of unit assessments, observations and questioning. Reports are written by the specialist music teacher and all peripatetic staff.